Preparation Time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
1) Ada 50 gm
2) Thin Coconut milk 2 cups
3) Thick Coconut milk 1 cup
4) Jaggery 200 gm
5) Ghee 3 Tbsp
6) Cashew nut/Almond 8 nos
7) Cardamom 2 nos
8) Raisins 2 Tbsp
1) Ada should be cooked separately prior to cooking pradhaman. Since we are using readymade ada, it will be best to cook them according to the instruction given in the packet. For “Nirapara”ada, you should wash the ada in normal water and soak them in boiled water for about 15 mins and drain the water.
2) I have used coconut milk bought from stores. If you are having whole coconut, grate the coconut and sprinkle ½ cup of warm water. Grind the grated coconut and squeeze them to get the thick milk. Keep it aside. Add one more cup of warm water to the coconut and grind again. Squeeze them as earlier to extract the thin coconut milk. Use muslin cloth to squeeze. Otherwise use hands.
3) If you are going to use store brought coconut milk, you need to dilute them in order to get thin coconut milk. For thin milk take 1 cup of coconut milk and add 1 cup of water to it. For thick milk you can use directly.
4) Heat 2 cups of water in a pan and add the cooked ada to it. Cook them in medium heat.
5) Take another pan and melt the jaggery (Unrefined brown sugar) by adding ½ cup of water
and filter using muslin cloth.
6) When the ada starts boiling reduce the flame to low and add the jaggery (Unrefined brown sugar). Stir well.
7) Add the thin coconut milk stirring continuously.
8) Allow it to cook for 10-15 mins and check the ada. It should be soft.
9) At this stage add the thick coconut milk stirring continuously.
10) Bring to boil. Add crushed cardomoms and mix well
11) Heat another pan with ghee. When ghee melts add the cashewnuts/chopped almonds, raisins and fry till it turns golden colour.
12) Pour the ghee along with nuts into the pradhaman.
13) Turn off the heat. Transfer to the serving bowl.
1) Adjust the jaggery (Unrefined Brown sugar) according to your taste.
2) It tastes best when used fresh coconut milk.
3) I have used almonds here instead of cashewnuts. You can also use pistachios & coconut chips for garnishing.
4) Serve them warm after meal.