Biriyani!!! This dish stands for herbs and spices… Travelled long way from Iran to India..Biriyani is a dish made of rice with the combination of veg/non veg and spices. It is enormously popular in India and liked by many. While dining out I have seen many people consider this dish as mandatory to be in the table. Yogurt sauce called “Raita” is served along with biriyani to calm down the spiciness. Raita is a simple yogurt seasoned with selected vegetables.
Preparation Time: 15 mins
· Wash rice 2-3 times or till water runs clear. Fry them gently in a kadai by adding 2 Tbsp Ghee.
Boil the rice till it is half done in a vessel with 2 cups of water and 1 no. of clove, cardamom,
cinnamon and bay leaves. Drain the water completely and keep the rice separately.
· Chop the onion, tomato & green chillies. Roughly chop the carrot and green beans. Wash green peas
and cauliflower. Use medium size florets of cauliflower.
· Roast few cashew nuts in ghee till brown.
· Make a paste of ginger, garlic, green chilli, mint leaves, coriander leaves, cloves, cardamom, mace
fennel seeds and cumin seeds by adding little water.
· Heat 1 Tbsp Oil in a pressure cooker. I used 2 litres Hawkins’s cooker.
· Add bay leaves, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves respectively.
· Add the sliced onion. Fry till onion turns golden brown.
· Add turmeric powder and sauté well.
· Add the ground paste and salt. Stir fry for a minute and add vegetables.
· Mix to combine masala and the vegetables well.
· Pour 1 cup of water drained from the rice. Check for salt and seasoning. Adjust if required.
· Add 2 tbsp of curd or yogurt or lemon juice at this stage.
· Now spread the rice on top. Sprinkle some coriander leaves and fried onions (Optional).
· Close the lid. Bring it to full pressure. Reduce the flame to low and cook for another 2 mins.
· Turn off the heat and allow to cool naturally. Mix the rice with the vegetables before serving.
· Garnish with cashew nuts.
· Serve warm with raita
For Onion Raita
· Slice the onion and green chilli.
· Beat 1 cup of curd/yogurt adding little salt.
· Mix the onion, green chilli and coriander leaves with the curd/yogurt.
· Raita can be made with many variations. You can add diced cucumber, shredded carrot, mint leaves
cumin etc.. to the yogurt